An antiviral drug used in the treatment of AIDS. It slows the growth of HIV infection in the body, but is not curative.
- A thymidine derivative; chemical formula: C10H13N5O4
More example sentences
- The drug is indicated for use in patients unresponsive to or intolerant of zidovudine, zalcitabine, or didanosine.
- Intestinal absorption of penicillin, captopril, ciprofloxacin, quinidine and zidovudine was reported to be reduced when given with food.
- Aids patients can get a manic syndrome related to the use of ganciclovir, zidovudine, and fluoxetine, which may respond to lithium.
1980s: arbitrary alteration of azidothymidine.
Definition of zidovudine in:
- The British & World English dictionary