Definition of zombie in English:
1A corpse said to be revived by witchcraft, especially in certain African and Caribbean religions.
- He cleared his throat and began to read, "A zombie is an undead person in the tradition of voodoo."
- Basically, it's all about consciousness, and in the voodoo religions, zombies are bodies without soul.
- In folklore, zombies are portrayed as innocent victims who are raised in a comatose trance from their graves by malevolent sorcerers.
living dead, undead, walking dead, soulless corpse
1.1(In popular fiction) a person or reanimated corpse that has been turned into a creature capable of movement but not of rational thought, which feeds on human flesh: a world overrun by zombies a horde of mindless zombies craving brains
More example sentences
- One can become inflicted with this malady by being bitten by zombie.
- The cops fled the scene, but not before one was bitten by the zombie.
- Anyone bitten by a zombie dies and is reanimated as one of them.
1.2 informal A person who is or appears lifeless, apathetic, or completely unresponsive to their surroundings.
- Not many like to go there, because it can be an unnerving experience, the officials more often than not appearing like zombies who cannot even hear applicants.
- As D-Day approached I became a zombie, all distant stares and unresponsive grunts.
- I stopped… progressing for a while, a sort of zombie of my former self.
1.3 Philosophy A hypothetical being that responds to stimulus as a person would but that does not experience consciousness.
- When one imagines the zombie, one cannot be imagining something for which it only seems like it lacks the feeling of pain (say), but really it is in pain: for anything which is really in pain can never seem to lack the feeling of pain!
- While the zombie argument raises a problem for physicalism's metaphysical claims about the relations between mind and body, the explanatory gap argument raises a problem for physicalism's understanding of consciousness.
- Nothing in the zombie theory explains why they act the way they do, unless we hypothesize the existence of unseen causes, demonic puppet masters, or the like.
1.4A computer controlled by another person without the owner’s knowledge and used for sending spam or other illegal or illicit activities.
- Malicious programs capable of turning home PCs into zombies controlled by hackers are growing at between 150 to 200 per week.
- The zombies mount attacks by flooding servers with traffic til they can't cope.
- Zombies can be used by criminal hackers to launch distributed denial-of-service attacks, spread spam messages or to steal confidential information.
- Example sentences
- This morning, I stumble downstairs in the zombielike pre-coffee state and wander aimlessly around the kitchen.
- He seemed very strange, anaesthetized and zombielike.
- Charles is medicated to a zombielike mellowness and has neither held down a job nor moved out of his mother's house in Philadelphia.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan