1Distribution in zones or regions of definite character: quartz grains can exhibit zonation and rounding
More example sentences
- To address the latter question, it has proven useful to compare closely related species, especially congeners that exhibit temperature-related patterns of zonation.
- Internal textures typically show pronounced zonation of crystallite orientation and grain size.
- Cathodoluminescence imaging revealed that all grains contain a discrete core whose internal zonation was truncated by a surrounding brightly luminescent rim.
1.1 Ecology The distribution of plants or animals into specific zones according to such parameters as altitude or depth, each characterized by its dominant species.
- Numerous regional schemes rationalizing the nomenclatural stratigraphy of the critical time have been developed, and a variety of biostratigraphic zonations evolved.
- The vegetation in the marsh shows clear zonation with different species dominating different zones.
- Most studies conducted on plant zonation have been within perennial-dominated coastal marshes or non-saline marshes.
Words that rhyme with zonationablation, aeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, duration, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, Horatian, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oblation, oration, ovation, potation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vexation, vocation
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of zonation in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.