- 1An establishment that maintains a collection of wild animals, typically in a park or gardens, for study, conservation, or display to the public.More example sentences
- Once it was only possible to see animals in zoos or in marine parks but in recent years there has been a huge growth in wildlife tourism around the world.
- In Colombia, biologists are busy reintroducing young condors hatched in North American zoos to parks and reserves.
- While some of the animals are kept in zoos, the Sumatran rhino is difficult to breed in captivity.
- 1.1 • informal A situation characterized by confusion and disorder: it’s a zoo in the lobbyMore example sentences
- I was reluctant to do the Olympics because I thought it would be a zoo.
- Through the human zoo called Paris, the driver found his way to the shop located in the middle of the entertainment part of the city.
mid 19th century: abbreviation of zoological garden, originally applied specifically to that of Regent's Park, London.