Definition of zygodactyl in English:
(Of a bird’s feet) having two toes pointing forward and two backward.
- Their legs are strong, and feathered in many species; they have zygodactyl raptorial feet.
- Paleogene fossils also document diverse extinct branches of the neornithine tree, ranging from large pseudotoothed seabirds to giant flightless land birds to small zygodactyl perching birds.
- All the small zygodactyl or semizygodactyl forms, generally from Eocene deposits, are jumbled together in the family Zygodactylidae.
nounBack to top
- Example sentences
- Owls are zygodactylous: two toes face anteriorly and two toes face posteriorly.
- The feet are zygodactylous, with two toes pointed forward and two toes pointed backward.
- The feet of most woodpeckers are large and zygodactylous, meaning two toes point forward and two backward on each foot.
Definition of zygodactyl in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan