(Of a bird’s feet) having two toes pointing forward and two backward.
- Their legs are strong, and feathered in many species; they have zygodactyl raptorial feet.
- Paleogene fossils also document diverse extinct branches of the neornithine tree, ranging from large pseudotoothed seabirds to giant flightless land birds to small zygodactyl perching birds.
- All the small zygodactyl or semizygodactyl forms, generally from Eocene deposits, are jumbled together in the family Zygodactylidae.
- Example sentences
- Owls are zygodactylous: two toes face anteriorly and two toes face posteriorly.
- The feet are zygodactylous, with two toes pointed forward and two toes pointed backward.
- The feet of most woodpeckers are large and zygodactylous, meaning two toes point forward and two backward on each foot.
Definition of zygodactyl in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.