- The thick-walled resting cell of certain fungi and algae, arising from the fusion of two similar gametes. Compare with oospore.More example sentences
- The thick-walled zygospore which encases the zygote, is highly ornamented and very durable.
- White mutant diploid zygospores did not germinate (undergo meiosis) when subjected to low light (8 mol photons m - 2 sec - 1) overnight.
- When mixed, + and - gametes rapidly pair, fuse, and form a diploid cell that becomes a heavy-walled zygospore.
More definitions of zygosporeDefinition of zygospore in:
- The British & World English dictionary