Definition of zygote in English:
A diploid cell resulting from the fusion of two haploid gametes; a fertilized ovum.
- A brief exposure to chloroform vapors kills vegetative cells but not zygotes.
- In charophytes, the first cell division of the zygote is meiosis, and their plant body is gametophytic.
- Those 10 frozen little 16 or 32 cell zygotes will never be used for anything else.
late 19th century: from Greek zugōtos 'yoked', from zugoun 'to yoke'.
- Example sentences
- Several gametic and zygotic reproductive barriers were found in a cross between Japonica and Indica rice varieties.
- It is the sperm basal body that serves as a centriole in the zygotic microtubule organizing center.
- A post zygotic mutation restricted to somatic cells has been assumed to be responsible for most cases.
Definition of zygote in:
- British & World English dictionary