- A mixture of enzymes obtained from yeast that catalyze the breakdown of sugars in alcoholic fermentation.More example sentences
- When alcohol is produced for human consumption, zymase - provided by yeast - is used as the catalyst.
- Even now the question remains open whether zymase can be added directly to the established list of enzymes.
- The reaction is then carried out in presence of yeast, which contain two enzymes maltose and zymase.
late 19th century: from French, from Greek zumē 'leaven'.
More definitions of zymaseDefinition of zymase in:
- The British & World English dictionary