Synonyms of do in English:
3 if you can't get espresso, regular coffee will do
12 what does he do?
do for a living, work at, be employed as, earn a living as/at;
what is …'s job?
do away with
- 1 they want to do away with the old customsabolish, quash, get rid of, discard, remove, eliminate, discontinue, cancel, stop, end, terminate, put an end to, put a stop to, call a halt to, dispense with, drop, abandon, give upinformal bin, scrap, ditch, dump, axe, cut out, pack in, get shut of, pull the plug on, knock something on the head, give something the chopBritish informal get shot of[Antonyms] uphold
- 2 she tried to do away with her husbandkill, put to death, do to death, put an end to, finish off, take the life of, end the life of, murder, assassinate, execute, slaughter, butcher, wipe out, mow down, shoot down, cut down;informal do in, bump off, knock off, polish off, top, take out, snuff out, snuff, erase, croak, stiff, zap, blow away, blow someone's brains out, give someone the worksNorth American euphemistic terminate with extreme prejudiceliterary slay
do someone/something down
- informal he loves an opportunity to do down his colleaguesbelittle, disparage, denigrate, run down, deprecate, depreciate, cast aspersions on, discredit, vilify, defame, decry, criticize, abuse, insult, malign;North American slurinformal do a hatchet job on, take to pieces, take apart, pull apart, pick holes in, drag through the mud, have a go at, hit out at, knock, slam, pan, bash, bad-mouth, look down one's nose at
do for someone informal
- 2 it was drink that did for himkill, cause the death of, take/end the life of, finish offinformal polish off, do in, knock off, take outliterary slay
do someone/something in
- 1 the poor devil's been done inkill, put to death, do to death, put an end to, finish off, take the life of, end the life of, murder, assassinate, execute, slaughter, butcher, wipe out, mow down, shoot down, cut down;informal do away with, bump off, knock off, polish off, top, take out, snuff out, snuff, erase, croak, stiff, zap, blow away, blow someone's brains out, give someone the worksNorth American euphemistic terminate with extreme prejudiceliterary slay
do something out
do someone out of something
do someone over informal
do something up
- 2 informal he's had his house done up
have nothing to do with
have something to do with
nounBack to top
British informal he invited us to this do in his mansion
party, reception, gathering, celebration, function, affair, event, social event, social occasion, social function, social;
West Indian jump-up;
North American levee
South African informal jol
informal , dated ding-dong
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.