Synonyms of show in English:
5 recent events show this to be true
prove, demonstrate, confirm, show beyond doubt, manifest, produce/submit proof, produce/submit evidence, establish evidence, evince;
7 informal we were waiting for them, but they never showed
- 1show off
- informal he was showing off, trying to make a really big impressionbehave affectedly, put on airs, put on an act, give oneself airs, boast, brag, crow, trumpet, gloat, glory, swagger around, swank, bluster, strut, strike an attitude, strike a pose, posture, attitudinize;draw attention to oneself, blow one's own trumpetNorth American informal cop an attitude
- 2show something off
- 3show up
- 1 modern-day swabs do show up on X-raysbe visible, be obvious, be seen, be revealed, be conspicuous, stand out, catch the eye[Antonyms] be invisible
- 2 informal only two waitresses showed up for work See sense 7 of the verb
- 4show someone/something up
- 2 they showed him up in front of his friendshumiliate, humble, mortify, bring/take down, bring low, demean, expose, show in a bad light, shame, put to shame, discomfit, disgrace, discredit, downgrade, debase, degrade, devalue, dishonour, embarrass;put someone in their place, make a fool of, chasten, subdue, get the better of, have the last laugh on;North American informal make someone eat crow[Antonyms] put someone in a good light
nounBack to top
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.