Synonyms of shut in English:
- 1shut someone/something away
- 2shut down
- the factory has shut downcease activity, close, close down, cease production, cease operating, come to a halt, go on strike, cease trading, collapse, fail, crash, go under, go to the wall, go bankrupt, become insolvent, go into receivership, go into liquidation, be liquidated, be wound up, be closed (down), be shut (down)
- 3shut something down
- 1 they have shut down the factoryclose, close down, discontinue, put into receivership, liquidate, put into liquidation[Antonyms] open, open up
- 4shut someone/something in
- she pushed the dogs into the breakfast room and shut them inhurdle, rail in, coop (up), mew up, immure, box up/in, wall in/up, lock up/in, cage, imprison, intern, hold captive, incarcerate, encircle, surround, ring, encompass, hem in, close in, trap, kettle;North American corral
- 5shut something off
- 6shut someone/something out
- 7shut up
- informal just shut up and listen[Antonyms] speak upinformal keep mum, button one's lip, button it, cut the cackle, pipe down, clam up, shut it, shut your face/mouth/trap, keep your face/mouth/trap shut, belt up, put a sock in it, give it a restNorth American informal save it, can it
- 8shut someone/something up
- 1 I haven't shut the hens up yethurdle, rail in, coop (up), mew up, box up/in, wall in/up, immure, lock up/in, cage, imprison, intern, hold captive, incarcerate, encircle, surround, ring, encompass, hem in, close in, shut in, trap;North American corral
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.