Definition of à la mode in English:
1In fashion; up to date: [as adjective]: corduroy is extremely à la mode this season
More example sentences
- Pie was "a la mode" as commercial pie manufacturers trekked to Celebration, Fla., in April for the 2005 American Pie Council's (APC)/Crisco National Pie Championships, held in conjunction with the Great American Pie Festival.
- Rumors a la mode: Just a few things I've heard bouncing around...
- HOME A LA MODE. For the Grendene family, life at home is a fashionable affair that will never go out style.
3North American Served with ice cream.
- Brownies a la mode. Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream on each serving.
- Fudgy casserole a la mode. Spoon into individual dishes and serve warm with ice cream.
- Pineapple a la mode. Place a scoop of ice cream, or yogurt in pineapple shell. Spoon pineapple pieces over ice cream and serve immediately.
late 16th century: French, literally 'in the fashion'.
Definition of à la mode in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan