- An award given by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Hollywood, US) presented annually since 1928 for achievement in the film industry in various categories; an Oscar: the Academy Award for best directorMore example sentences
- The rule states that either the most popular or the most significant film gets the Academy award for best screenplay.
- Olivier received an Academy award nomination for Best Actor, but lost to Burt Lancaster for his work in Elmer Gantry.
- But Julie Andrews became a bigtime movie star the same year by starring in Disney's original musical Mary Poppins - and won the Academy award for Best Actress.
More definitions of Academy AwardDefinition of Academy Award in:
- The US English dictionary