Definition of Achinese in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living in northern Sumatra.
- The Achinese installed his son as Sultan Muzaffah Shah and he rebuilt Kota Batu, ringing its walls with cannon.
- Forty years on, the poem's appeal was still strong enough to hearten the Achinese in their next struggle, against the invaders.
- He announced a victory for the Portuguese over the Achinese in a battle which was taking place hundreds of miles away, while he was preaching in the chapel of Our Lady of the Hill, on St Paul's hill.
2 [mass noun] The Indonesian language of the Achinese.
- The language limit has expanded from 43 languages to a seemingly infinite number of languages, from Achinese to Zuni.
- By the way, Achinese and Balinese also possess a retroflex voiceless stop.
- The next largest group consists of Achinese and Gayo, spoken in northern Sumatra; the Batak languages and Minangkabau, in central Sumatra; the Lampung languages, in southern Sumatra; and Malay, along the east coast of Sumatra, in West Malaysia, in southern Thailand, and along the coast of Borneo.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Achinese or their language.
- Discussions regarding the future shape of Achinese politics must resume.
- The palace was seized and shortly afterward the Achinese sultan died.
- Due to its close proximity to Thailand, some of these traditions are Thai in influence and origin, and faces of Kehah's people often bear signs of Thai or Achinese ancestry.
from Acheh, Atjeh, a territory in northern Sumatra, + -n- + -ese.
Words that rhyme with AchineseAmbonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia