- 1(In the Jewish calendar) the sixth month of the civil and twelfth of the religious year, usually coinciding with parts of February and March. It is known in leap years as Second Adar.More example sentences
- Purim is celebrated on the 14th and 15th days of Adar, the twelfth month of the Jewish Calendar.
- Today, in traditional Jewish congregations, the Sabbath preceding the first of the month of Adar is called ‘Sabbath Shekalim’.
- The sixth month of the Jewish calendar is called Adar, and in leap years there are two Adars called Adar I and Adar II.
- 1.1An intercalary month preceding Adar in leap years, also called First Adar.More example sentences
- The only month ever added to the year is Adar in which case the year has two Adar's: A First Adar and a Second Adar.
- This year we celebrate two months of Adar, Adar Rishon (First Adar) and Adar Sheni.
- This last past Monday, we entered a new Jewish month, the month of Adar Rishon (First Adar; this is a Jewish leap year) about which the Talmud writes.
from Hebrew ’ăḏār.
More definitions of AdarDefinition of Adar in:
- The US English dictionary