1An Afrikaans-speaking white person in South Africa, especially one descended from the Dutch and Huguenot settlers of the 17th century.
More example sentences
- In my academic posting here I report a study of South African Afrikaners (whites of Dutch origin).
- After 1845, the Pedi also had to contend with an influx of white Afrikaner settlers, some of whom seized Pedi children and forced them to work as slaves.
- Key innovators were often British settlers, but Afrikaners, still the predominant landowners, were drawn into the commercial pastoral economy.
- More example sentences
- They represented our country with the notion that Afrikanerdom and the Lord would get them through.
- His role as lecturer in what was a bastion of Afrikanerdom is of fairly recent origin.
- This rule by the generals was wholly unacceptable to the great notables of Afrikanerdom.
Definition of Afrikaner in:
- The US English dictionary