Definition of Aleut in English:
1A member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands, other islands in the Bering Sea, and parts of western Alaska.
- These tribes include Eskimo (the largest), Aleuts, Alaska Athabaskan, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, American Indian, and ‘Tribes Not Reported or Specific’.
- The Native American population, which includes natives of Alaska such as the Inuit and Aleuts, is estimated to consist of over two million people, slightly over 1 percent of the population.
- The American Indian or Alaska native classification includes Native Americans, Eskimos, and Aleuts who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Aleuts, related to Eskimo but now almost extinct.
- Take Aleut, the language of the Aleutian Islands, west of Alaska, surviving mainly in just one village.
- While Aleut is considered a separate language, Eskimo branches into Inuit and Yup'ik.
- ‘Alaska’ means ‘Great Land’ in Aleut, but for many of today's Native Americans, it has become a place of great suffering as well.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Aleuts or their language.
- An Aleut language expert is consulting with native elders for an appropriate name.
- A lot of our culture was lost because of education and religion that came in, banning the culture of the Aleut people.
- For a look at island history, try the Baranov Museum and its exhibits on Russian, Alutiiq, and Aleut history.
Of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with Aleutparachute
Definition of Aleut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.