Definition of Aleut in English:
1A member of a people inhabiting the Aleutian Islands, other islands in the Bering Sea, and parts of western Alaska.
- These tribes include Eskimo (the largest), Aleuts, Alaska Athabaskan, Tlingit, Haida, Tsimshian, American Indian, and ‘Tribes Not Reported or Specific’.
- The Native American population, which includes natives of Alaska such as the Inuit and Aleuts, is estimated to consist of over two million people, slightly over 1 percent of the population.
- The American Indian or Alaska native classification includes Native Americans, Eskimos, and Aleuts who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. or its territories.
2 [mass noun] The language of the Aleuts, related to Eskimo but now almost extinct.
- Take Aleut, the language of the Aleutian Islands, west of Alaska, surviving mainly in just one village.
- While Aleut is considered a separate language, Eskimo branches into Inuit and Yup'ik.
- ‘Alaska’ means ‘Great Land’ in Aleut, but for many of today's Native Americans, it has become a place of great suffering as well.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Aleuts or their language.
- An Aleut language expert is consulting with native elders for an appropriate name.
- A lot of our culture was lost because of education and religion that came in, banning the culture of the Aleut people.
- For a look at island history, try the Baranov Museum and its exhibits on Russian, Alutiiq, and Aleut history.
of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with Aleutparachute
Definition of Aleut in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India