- 1Relating to Alexandria in Egypt.More example sentences
- The daughter of an English merchant based in Smyrna, she had married a rich Alexandrian merchant, later British Consul General in Egypt, and had travelled extensively in the Levant.
- The minarets, columns, and pillars that make up the skyline are a mixture of recognizable Alexandrian landmarks and the Bellinis' own invention.
- In Alexandrian courtrooms a defendant was permitted to speak for a certain regulated time.
- 1.1Belonging to the schools of literature and philosophy of ancient Alexandria.More example sentences
- First, in the Greek tradition, we nowhere find evidence of an Alexandrian philosopher named David; neither the Suda nor Hesychius nor Photius nor anyone else seems to know of any such person.
- Philoponus never held the Alexandrian philosophy chair.
- He felt that there were spiritual realities that needed to be asserted against the kind of fading dimensions of classicism and of the Alexandrian school of philosophers.
- 1.2(Of a writer) derivative or imitative of previous writers and fond of obscure learning.More example sentences
- Alexandrian poets write out of a library, the library of other poetry they carry in their heads, rather than out of a commemorative rural ethic or an aspiration towards the permanently upright city.
More definitions of AlexandrianDefinition of Alexandrian in:
- The US English dictionary