- A group of reptiles which comprises the worm lizards.
More example sentences
- Suborder Amphisbaenia, order Squamata
- This is one of a suborder of legless lizards called Amphisbaenia (one weird Mexican group actually has two front legs).
- Snakes, lizards and Amphisbaenia are closely related and belong to a single order, Squamata, with three suborders.
- Rhineura is a member of Amphisbaenia, a lineage of mostly limbless burrowing lizards known from the Paleocene onward.
- noun & adjective
- More example sentences
- Caecilians, urodeles and some anurans, snakes, amphisbaenians and some lizards have a stapes, which may be attached to the shoulder girdle or skin, and are well suited to detecting low frequency vibrations from the substrate.
- Scleroglossa is a diverse and speciose group including all remaining lizard families, plus snakes and amphisbaenians.
- In snakes and amphisbaenians M. iliocostalis has its origin from either a tendon (most squamates) or a tendonous sheet arising from the anteroventral half of M. longissimus dorsi.
modern Latin, from Greek amphisbaina, from amphis 'both' + bainein 'go, walk'.
More definitions of AmphisbaeniaDefinition of Amphisbaenia in:
- The US English dictionary