Definition of Argive in English:
1Relating to the ancient city of Argos.
- The Argive king Tantalus began a pattern of destruction for Argos after he offended the gods by feeding them his son Pelops at a banquet.
- Perhaps the most famous statue of the classical period is the Doryphoros by the Argive sculptor Polyclitus, which he also referred to as the Canon.
- But the author also lets us know that his heroine is committed to ideals of ‘tenderness and justice ‘that transcend national frontiers at a time when the Argive state is under threat.’
1.1(Especially in Homer) Greek.
nounBack to top
1A citizen of Argos.
- The Athenian alliance with the Argives, the Boeotians and the Corinthians against Sparta in the Corinthian War is portrayed as a gesture of compassion for the weak.
- Here, perhaps some 24,000 Boeotians, Corinthians, Argives, Euboeans, and Athenians faced between 18,000 and 19,000 Spartans and their allies, in possibly the greatest hoplite battle ever fought.
- Now that Spartan backing was no longer a guarantee of political ascendancy, one Euphron, who had previously exploited Spartan favour, persuaded the Argives and Arcadians to help him install democracy.
1.1(Especially in Homer) a Greek person.
Definition of Argive in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan