- Denoting Samian ware (Roman pottery), especially that made at Arretium (modern Arezzo) in central Italy.More example sentences
- Two principal types are recognized: Arretine produced at Arezzo in northern Italy between 30 BC and AD 50; and Samian produced in several areas of Gaul from ad 20 through to the late 2nd century AD.
- Copies of Arretine ware have been found in the remotest outposts of the Roman Empire.
- Yet such products are rarer among other finds: most Arretine and related bowls made until ad 60-70 tend towards lush foliage or plain symmetry, with multiple mouldings on wheelmade parts.
late 18th century: from the name of the city + -ine1.
More definitions of ArretineDefinition of Arretine in:
- The US English dictionary