(US also Atheneum)
Definition of Athenaeum in English:
1Used in the names of libraries or institutions for literary or scientific study: the Boston Athenaeum
More example sentences
- The city art gallery project, which involved the construction of new galleries and the linking of two existing buildings - the Royal Manchester Institution and the Athenaeum - was a triumph.
- Tomorrow there will be an Anglo-Japanese evening at the Athenaeum and on Wednesday the usually quiet library will be alive with the sounds of a folk band.
- It was held at the Athenaeum, in Warminster, a few years ago and I went along.
1.1Used in the titles of periodicals concerned with literature, science, and art.
- Published in 1897, his novel Dracula received mixed reviews, summed up in the Athenaeum's grudging praise that Stoker's object, ‘assuming it to be ghastliness, is fairly well fulfilled’.
- Apparently, word around the rumour mill was that he used to date a journalism major who wrote a weekly column for the Atheneum.
Definition of Athenaeum in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia