noun[mass noun] • trademark
- An early form of brittle plastic, typically dark brown, made from formaldehyde and phenol, used chiefly for electrical equipment: [as modifier]: an old Bakelite telephoneMore example sentences
- The first synthetic polymer, called Bakelite (a polymer made from phenol and formaldehyde) was invented by Leo Baekeland in 1907.
- The first synthetic polymer produced by a condensation reaction was Bakelite.
- Also, items made of the wartime plastic-like Bakelite material had passed the underwater test of time in very good condition.
early 20th century: named after Leo H. Baekeland (1863–1944), the Belgian-born American chemist who invented it, + -ite1.
More definitions of BakeliteDefinition of Bakelite in:
- The US English dictionary