Definition of Berber in English:
1A member of the indigenous people of North Africa, among whom are the nomadic Tuareg.
- Tuareg, Fulani, Berbers, Soninke, and Songhai lived side by side, in peace and harmony, bound together by their belief in Allah, the Qur'ân and the Sunnah of the Prophet Muhammad.
- There were Copts and Berbers in North Africa when the Arabs came and Byzantine Christians when Turks entered Asia Minor.
- By the end of the nineteenth century, Tunisians distinguished between Moors, Turks, Jews, Berbers, Andalusians, Arabs, and various sorts of Europeans.
2 [mass noun] The Afro-Asiatic language of the Berber peoples, spoken by about 11 million people. There are several different dialects; some of them, e.g. Tamashek, are regarded by some scholars as separate languages.
- Her mother's world by contrast was hidden and private, and in it dialects of Arabic or Berber were spoken but were not usually written down.
- Arabic and Berber are the languages most spoken in day-to-day life.
- Not surprisingly, you'll get a better deal if you bring a friend who speaks Arabic or Berber.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Berber peoples or their language.
- For them the government had to open out the country's history and embrace the period before the Arab invasion in the seventh century, thereby recognising that the Berber language and culture were essential components of being Algerian.
- Although in the run up to the election the government finally officially recognised the legitimacy of the Berber language - Tamazight - this did nothing to hold back the mass protest.
- The major language of the Tuareg is Tamacheq, which is in the Berber language group.
Definition of Berber in:
- US English dictionary