Definition of Bhil in English:
A member of an indigenous people of central India.
- Between Harda and Omkareshwar, and again between Badwani and Tanchala, steep, forested hills close in once more, mainly inhabited by tribal or adivasi peoples - the Kols, Gonds, Korkus, Bhils and Bhilalas.
- One factor that distinguishes these Gond people from the Bhils is their longer residence-three to four generations - in this same area.
- Perched at a crest about 1,500 feet above sea level, the Dangs have since time immemorial been inhabited by aboriginal tribes such as the Bhils and Kunbis, also known as Kukanas in Dharampur area, Warlis and Gamits.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Bhils.
- Though of Bhil origin and accustomed to ghunghat, (covering their faces) they had become more assertive.
- Among them, the poorest were Bhil tribals, who could seldom afford to buy their full quota.
- In many of the rebellions, the Adivasis could not be subdued, but terminated the struggle only because the British acceded to their immediate demands, as in the case of the Bhil revolt of 1809 and the Naik revolt of 1838 in Gujarat.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan