Definition of Bihari in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Bihar.
- True the Turks and Persians no longer inhabit Delhi, but for UPites, Biharis, Punjabis, Delhi still is asylum……
- On a lighter note Biharis are champion guzzlers of Chyawanprash: they account for 28 per cent of the national consumption.
- The encounter of two Biharis in an American university campus is presented without comment, without judgment or explanation.
2 [mass noun] A group of three closely related Indic languages (Bhojpuri, Maithili, and Magahi) spoken principally in Bihar.
- I don't expect Microsoft to localize Outlook for Bihari, Tonga or Swahili anytime soon, but Google is well on its way toward supporting these languages on its main platform.
- I look down on a row of small eateries and pan, bidi, cigarette shops where the sellers and buyers speak Bihari Hindi, not Calcuttas native Bengali.
- This girl has not only managed to speak good Bihari Hindi she also recited a shloka in Hindi with proper intonation and pronunciation.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to Bihar, its peoples, or their languages.
- The Katha Executive director, Geeta Dharmarajan, said Tamasha Roadshow was especially concentrating on Rajasthani and Bihari children with the main aim of improving their lives.
- And I know that in Dhaka almost 40% of the barbers are from Bihari camps.
- Also has the distinction of making more of a mess of Bihari politics than previously considered possible.
From Hindi Bihārī.
Definition of Bihari in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.