Definition of Bohemian in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Bohemia.
- The fact that any guests would be Jews or Bohemians barely registered on her.
- By the late second century C.E., peoples such as the Slavs, Germans, Huns, and Bohemians began to raid Austria.
- The same result was attained on other frontiers by his successful campaigns against the Wends and Bohemians.
2 (also bohemian) A socially unconventional person, especially one who is involved in the arts.
[ mid 19th century: from French bohémien 'Gypsy' (because Gypsies were thought to come from Bohemia, or because they perhaps entered the West through Bohemia)]
- In its more recent times, Sozopol has been the favourite summer resort for bohemians and young people.
- It is in part precisely because Paganism is a subculture at this time that it is likely to attract bohemians, hippies, goths, and all sorts of other non-conformists.
- Celebrating a major retrospective at the National Portrait Gallery in London, this film double bill re-creates the photographer's social universe among the surrealists and bohemians of prewar Paris.
adjectiveBack to top
1Relating to Bohemia or its people: the tombs of Bohemian kings engraved Bohemian glass
More example sentences
- During the day the bridge is so crowded with tourists and street vendors that it's difficult to move, but I manage to buy some beautifully crafted Bohemian glass trinkets for my mom and some friends.
- It was reinforced in the middle of the sixteenth century by the attempts of Ferdinand I, the Holy Roman emperor and Bohemian king, to bring the population back under the influence of the Roman Catholic Church.
- The most prestigious traditional Bohemian glass decoration, Tiefschnit, or deep, intaglio carving, was also adopted by the artists of the avant-garde.
2 (also bohemian) Socially unconventional: she revelled in the Bohemian life of Montparnasse
More example sentences
- A number of autobiographies from writers within particular bohemian social groups reflects their different value system.
- A rebel and a pagan, he was an influential figure among the bohemian artists and writers of his time.
- The pursuit of truth was what the bohemian writers and artists of Montmartre were centrally concerned with.
Words that rhyme with Bohemiananthemion
Definition of Bohemian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India