noun[usually as modifier]
- Used with reference to a European Court ruling which obliges professional football or other sports clubs to allow players over the age of 25 to move freely between clubs once their contracts have expired: the Bosman ruling Bosman signingsMore example sentences
- It was bad enough bringing in the Bosman ruling where a player out of contract can just up and go to wherever anyone will have him.
- The 1995 Bosman ruling gave footballers more control over their transfer dealings and consequently the ability to earn more money.
- When the Bosman ruling gave players freedom of movement once their contract with a club expired, it was widely predicted that the transfer market would collapse.
1990s: named after Jean-Marc Bosman, a Belgian footballer who brought a legal case which resulted in the ruling.
More definitions of BosmanDefinition of Bosman in:
- The US English dictionary