A division of small flowerless green plants which comprises the mosses and liverworts. They lack true roots and reproduce by spores released from a stalked capsule.
- Division Bryophyta: classes Musci (mosses) and Hepaticae (liverworts)
More example sentences
- Takahashi and coworkers made an extensive survey on the Si concentrations of nearly 500 plant species from Bryophyta to Angiospermae, grown under similar soil conditions.
- An example of this is the Bryophyta, which includes liverworts, mosses and hornworts, but not the vascular plants.
- In the ‘bryophytes’ (Hepaticophyta, Anthocerotophyta, and Bryophyta), the sporophyte plant remains small and dependent on the parent gametophyte for its entire life.
modern Latin (plural), from Greek bruon 'moss' + phuta 'plants'.
Definition of Bryophyta in:
- The US English dictionary