Definition of Bushman in English:
noun (plural Bushmen)
1A member of any of several aboriginal peoples of southern Africa, especially of the Kalahari Desert. Traditionally nomadic hunter-gatherers, many are now employed by farmers. Also called San.
- The area is believed to have been inhabited originally by ethnic groups using a click-tongue language similar to that of Southern Africa's Bushmen.
- The stories I've shot are as diverse as the Hawaiian Extinction Crisis to the fate of southern Africa's Bushmen.
- Further south in Botswana, the famous Bushmen of the Kalahari desert are being moved out of the reserve where they have ranged free for centuries.
2 older term for San (the languages of these people).
- These people all came from the Burgersdorp and Colesberg regions and variations of one similar-sounding 'Bushman' language.
- Professional translators whose native language is Bushman perform our English to Bushman translation.
- Only professional translators whose native language is Vasekela bushman perform our English to Vasekela bushman translation.
3 (bushman) A person who lives, works, or travels in the Australian bush.
- The last Australian bushman still patrolling the country's famous rabbit proof fence on horseback is about to hang up his spurs.
- However he was a competent bushman and reliable bush worker, and Bryan also commented that he was an absolute marksman with a rifle.
- Do you imagine Bill Davidson as the tall, rangy Australian bushman of legend?
Words that rhyme with BushmanBushmen
Definition of Bushman in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia