A tall, sturdy cultivated bellflower with large pale blue flowers.
- Campanula medium, family Campanulaceae
More example sentences
- Plants that may require staking to hold their blooms high include Canterbury bells, hollyhocks, and verbascums, with foxgloves and delphiniums in the upper garden zones.
- Planted along with traditional peonies, irises and chrysanthemums, are lupines, veronicas and Canterbury bells, a contemporary feature rarely seen in Japanese gardens.
- Pink Canterbury bells will provide beautiful pink blooms from later spring to the early weeks of summer.
late 16th century: named after the bells on Canterbury pilgrims' horses (see canter).
Definition of Canterbury bell in:
- The US English dictionary