- Relating to Canton (Guangzhou), its inhabitants, or their dialect.More example sentences
- The Cantonese dialect created the unique culture exemplified by Stephen Chow, and this is our pride.
- One of the manifestations of local identity is language and Hong Kong cinema, since the beginning of sound, was closely identified as a Cantonese dialect cinema.
- If they were from Sichuan, there was no question that they ate Sichuanese and not Cantonese food.
noun (plural same)Back to top
- 1A native or inhabitant of Canton.More example sentences
- We restricted the study to individuals belonging to the two major dialect groups of Chinese in Singapore: the Hokkiens and the Cantonese.
- The striking thing about Guangzhou is that it is no longer the home of the Cantonese.
- Yet, picky Cantonese discovered years ago that X.O. Excellence brandy perfectly complements their favourite shark's fin soup.
- 2 [mass noun] A form of Chinese spoken by over 54 million people, mainly in SE China (including Hong Kong). Also called Yue.More example sentences
- Our local tour guide speaks Chinese (both Cantonese and putonghua), and he says that he has sufficient demand to keep busy every day of the week.
- Some West Coast and Hawaiian galleries take additional steps to ensure success with this market by hiring multilingual consultants who speak Japanese, Cantonese or Mandarin Chinese.
- Fluent in Mandarin, she was able to operate among the Hong Kong residents, who mainly speak Cantonese.
More definitions of CantoneseDefinition of Cantonese in:
- The US English dictionary