- An autonomous region of NE Spain; capital, Barcelona. The region has a strong separatist tradition; the normal language for everyday purposes is Catalan, which has also won acceptance in recent years for various official purposes. Catalan name Catalunya /ˌkatəˈluːnɪə/; Spanish name Cataluña /ˌkataˈluɲa/.
- More example sentences
- And you would not want to forego dinner, not in the Catalonian countryside, where the standard of cooking bears comparison with that across the border, in France.
- A month ago she moved to the small Catalonian town of Castell de Fels to be with her boyfriend, whom she met when she spent a year studying in San Sebastian.
- After a British Airways flight from Heathrow to Barcelona, we arrived in the Catalonian capital to a violent thunderstorm.
More definitions of CataloniaDefinition of Catalonia in:
- The US English dictionary