The standard time in a zone that includes the central states of the US and parts of central Canada, specifically:
- ● (Central Standard Time abbreviation: CST) standard time based on the mean solar time at longitude 90° W, six hours behind GMT. ● (Central Daylight Time abbreviation: CDT) Central time during daylight saving, five hours behind GMT.
More example sentences
- Since my body was still operating on Eastern Standard time, even though I was in the Central time zone, I told her to go ahead and ready the room for nighttime.
- This is similar to much of Texas, which should (by longitude) be mostly in the Mountain time zone instead of the Central time zone.
- Indiana, which dubs itself the ‘crossroads of America,’ is surrounded by four states that are divided between the Eastern and Central time zones.
Definition of Central time in:
- The US English dictionary