Definition of China rose in English:
1A Chinese rose which was introduced into Europe in the 19th century.
- Rosa chinensis, family Rosaceae
- Over the next decade the Dutch and British East India Companies brought back dozens of new China roses, leading to the development of Teas, Bourbons, and Portlands.
- To my intense regret, I cannot grow China roses; they are hardy only from zones 7 through 10.
- Rosa chinensis ‘Mutabilis’, a China rose, has single blooms in shades of buff, pink, and red from spring into winter.
2A tropical shrubby evergreen hibiscus, which is cultivated for its large showy flowers.
- Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, family Malvaceae
- There are indications that the very popular China rose (Hibiscus rosa-sinensis) was introduced to the Chelsea Physic Garden in London in 1731.
- Hibiscus plants (commonly known as 'China rose') have gorgeous velvety, exotic looking flowers.
- The study shows that the china rose (Hibiscus rosasinensis) petal is a potent natural carotenoid source for goldfish to enhance its colour and also accelerate gonadal development.
Definition of China rose in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan