Definition of Choctaw in English:
noun (plural same or Choctaws)
1A member of an American Indian people now living mainly in Mississippi.
- The local barbecue magnate, a 51-year-old member of the Choctaw and Chippewa tribes, is also a longtime Robbins admirer.
- The book's second part provides accounts of the customs and histories of the Catawbas, Cherokees, Creeks, Choctaws, and Chickasaws.
- That new direction will include outreach to another historically underserved minority - Mississippi's Choctaws - as well as building bridges with the state's growing Latino population.
2 [mass noun] The Muskogean language of the Choctaw, closely related to Chickasaw and now almost extinct.
- Nor is Johns dismayed by the fact that the Lakota and Choctaw are small language groups.
- The Chickasaw language is still so similar to Choctaw, for instance, that linguists surmise that the separation of the two could not have occurred very long ago.
- There are over 9,000 Choctaw speakers, including 80 who speak only Choctaw, out of a population of 25,000.
3(In skating) a step from one edge of a skate to the other edge of the other skate in the opposite direction.
- However, in the choctaw variant, a change of feet occurs at the cusp of the turn.
- The mohawk and choctaw involve a step from one foot to the other during the execution of the turn.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Choctaw or their language.
- The Choctaw language used in World War 1 was the only ‘code’ never broken by the German army.
- A pidgin version of the Choctaw language was used along many of the trading paths as the universal medium of trade communication among a wide assortment of diverse peoples.
- Its principal spectator sport, raquette, resembled Choctaw lacrosse, with a short stick in each hand.
from Choctaw čahta.
Definition of Choctaw in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia