Definition of Chokwe in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people living in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Zaire) and northern Angola.
- In effect, the Chokwe reduced the memorization of a lusona (singular of sona) to two numbers and a geometric algorithm for constructing one or more curves to create the desired pattern.
- Therefore, the essays deal more with the ‘related peoples’ referred to in the subtitle, while the Chokwe as such are the main focus of the catalogue sections.
- She said the people in the area had been plotting to have her removed from the school to allow a fellow Chokwe take over as school head teacher.
2 [mass noun] The Bantu language of the Chokwe, with over a million speakers.
- Six of the Bantu languages were selected as national languages: Chokwe, Kikongo, Kimbundo, Mbunda, Oxikuanyama, and Umbundu.
- Portuguese is the official language, although 95 percent of Angolans speak Ovimbundu, Mbundu, Kongo, Chokwe, and other languages.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Chokwe or their language.
- It is mainly thanks to the work of Bastin, who taught African art history at the Universite Libre de Bruxelles, that Chokwe art is relatively well known.
- Thus, contrary to earlier descriptions by Bastin and others, on the basis of information gathered from Chokwe assistants in Zambia, the Chihongo masquerader is described here as a royal or chiefly character.
- This mask's coiffure, entirely coated with red earth, depicts a style worn in the past by Chokwe women.
Definition of Chokwe in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia