Definition of Circassian in English:
1A member of a group of mainly Sunni Muslim peoples of the NW Caucasus.
- Arabs represented 98 percent of the population, Circassians one percent, and Armenians one percent.
- While the Druze and the Circassians were made to serve in the armed forces, Muslims and Christians were not allowed to do so.
- Among the resisters were the Circassians in the west and the Chechens and Dagestanis in the east, all Muslims.
2 [mass noun] Either of two North Caucasian languages of the Circassians, Adyghe and Kabardian. Also called Cherkess.
- Kurdish, Armenian, and Circassian also are spoken.
- They learn Hebrew, English and Circassian at school.
- Even in Turkey the younger generation still speak Circassian - albeit only poorly, as a second language.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Circassians or their language.
- When he built this hotel in 1912 he filled it with Austrian crystal chandeliers, Circassian walnut paneling, and an Italian marble staircase and floors.
- It set off her golden eyes, and her very light blond hair, a legacy of her Circassian ancestors.
- Special seats were set aside in parliament for Christian, Chechen, Circassian, and Bedouin minorities.
from Circassia, Latinized form of Russian Cherkes, denoting a district in the northern Caucasus.
Words that rhyme with CircassianParnassian
Definition of Circassian in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia