Definition of Copt in English:
1A native Egyptian in the Hellenistic and Roman periods.
- When Muslim armies invaded Egypt, they were welcomed by the Egyptian Copts as liberators from Byzantine oppression.
- Outnumbered by the native Copts, they settled just north of the Christian town, within the area of modern Cairo, and dreamed of building a new Islamic city.
- Moreover, ethnically differentiated people have been lumped together, for example, the Copts and the Berbers are not ethnically the same people.
2A member of the Coptic Church.
- On the eve of both Christmas day and Easter day, Orthodox Copts break their fast with a variety of dishes made of beef and poultry.
- The Copts, an indigenous Monophysite Christian church, are the largest and most important minority, some 12% of the population.
- Aswan was once an important centre for Christian Copts.
Words that rhyme with Coptadopt, co-opt, opt
Definition of Copt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.