Definition of Cycladic in English:
1Relating to the Cyclades.
- The waterfront with its white Cycladic houses is very grand and the splendid harbour looks out at the Portara, a vast gateway of marble shaped like the Greek letter pi.
- Syros is a calm, classy Cycladic island, with a stunning neoclassical ‘capital’ piled on two hills.
- Santorini ranks among the most stylish Greek islands, its classic whitewashed, blue-domed Cycladic houses teetering atop steepling cliffs.
1.1 Archaeology Relating to or denoting a Bronze Age civilization that flourished in the Cyclades, dated to circa 3000 to circa 1050 bc.
- While Mycenaean frescoes were derived from representations and conventions of Minoan and Cycladic painting, the Mycenaeans adapted these for their own purposes.
- Just as earlier Minoan and Cycladic feasting practices influenced the tastes of mainland elites at the beginning of the Late Bronze Age, the Mycenaean feast found favor in many areas with which the Mycenaeans were in contact.
- In the classical galleries, three Cycladic terracotta vases dating to about 2000 BC are extraordinary in their craftsmanship, preservation and rarity.
1.2 (as noun the Cycladic) The Cycladic culture or period.
Words that rhyme with CycladicChadic, Helladic, maenadic, nomadic, sporadic, triadic
Definition of Cycladic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan