Definition of Cypriot in English:
1A native or inhabitant of Cyprus.
- Greek and Turkish Cypriots will vote on reunification a week before Cyprus joins the EU on May 1.
- Both Greek and Turkish Cypriots prefer to think of themselves as living close to Europe rather than Africa and the Middle East.
- The Senate shall be composed of an equal number of Greek Cypriots and Turkish Cypriots.
2 [mass noun] The dialect of Greek used in Cyprus.
- Interviews with workers were conducted in English, and those with officials and social movement activists in Greek Cypriot.
- I am a philologist of the Athens University, specialising (after my retirement) in Cypriot linguistics and literature.
adjectiveBack to top
1Relating to Cyprus or its people or the Greek dialect used there.
- Over the millennia, different settlers have tremendously influenced Cyprus, which is why Cypriot traditions consist of a mixture of influences remaining from settlers.
- Andrew talks warmly of being raised in the northern suburbs of Melbourne to Greek Cypriot parents.
- Pambos became actively involved with Greek and Cypriot professional dancing at the age of 10.
1.1Denoting an ancient syllabic script related to the Minoan and Mycenaean scripts, which was used to write the Cypriot dialect of Greek from the 6th to the 3rd centuries bc.
- The Minoans were not Greek and spoke the Cypriot language and so the established hypothesis was that there was some relation between Linear A and B and the Cypriot script.
From Greek Kupriōtes, from Kupros 'Cyprus'.
Words that rhyme with Cypriotinebriate
Definition of Cypriot in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.