Definition of Dermoptera in English:
A small order of mammals which comprises the flying lemurs or colugos.
- Euarchontoglires is composed of the orders Primates, Rodentia, Lagomorpha (rabbits, hares, and pikas), Scandentia (tree shrews), and Dermoptera (flying lemurs).
- Bats are thought to be related most closely to the Dermoptera, a small order of mammals (two species) which includes the colugos or ‘flying lemurs’ of the Phillippines.
- The order Dermoptera contains a single family, the Cynocephalidae, which is made up of a single genus with two species.
dermopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Notable among these are primates, tree shrews, dermopterans, and bats.
- The relationships of picrodontids were long a matter of uncertainty, with early workers allying these peculiar mammals with marsupials, bats, insectivorans, or dermopterans.
- Here, we describe the isolation and characterization of a unique tRNA-derived SINE family in dermopterans (flying lemurs or colugos).
Definition of Dermoptera in:
- US English dictionary