Definition of Devonian in English:
1Relating to Devon.
- Coming up in the world: The old Devonian seadog William Burroughs, second in command to Cadiz in 1587 and a ship's commander against the Armada the following year.
- I still had the handful of yoghurt from the photo shoot and even though the yoghurt had curdled, this congealed dairy product was a feast to these backward Devonian fooles!
- Tucked away in Devonian hills as green as the heart of a lettuce is Dartington Hall, home of Dartington international summer school.
2 Geology Relating to or denoting the fourth period of the Palaeozoic era, between the Silurian and Carboniferous periods.
- For example, the various Lower Palaeozoic and Devonian formations on the stable interior platform of North America have presented many problems of correlation largely because the different facies are diachronous.
- Athyrids were most abundant during the Silurian and Devonian periods, but still remained common during the early Carboniferous, and even as late as the Permian.
- The plate tectonic model of Loeschke et al. invokes crustal rifting during the Ordovician and formation of a Silurian to Devonian ocean that underwent closure during the Devonian-Carboniferous.
nounBack to top
1A native or inhabitant of Devon.
- The Devonians play their biggest Scottish show to date.
- The impact of scientific rather than practical proposals has produced a fairly unworkable cocktail of measures which Devonians are calling a ‘complete shambles’.
- They performed with gusto to almost thirty drunk Devonians.
Definition of Devonian in:
- US English dictionary