Definition of Dictyoptera in English:
An order of insects that comprises the cockroaches and mantises. They have a somewhat flattened form, two pairs of wings, and long spiky legs.
- Rohdendorf and Hennig both hypothesized a relationship of the Dermaptera to the Dictyoptera (cockroaches, mantises, and termites).
- The earwigs comprise an order of polyneopterous insects allied to the Dictyoptera and Grylloblattodea.
- To date, 10 insect orders, Homoptera, Heteroptera, Lepidoptera, Coleoptera, Hymenoptera, Diptera, Odonata, Isoptera, Orthoptera, and Dictyoptera, have been recorded to be hosts of Cordyceps species.
dictyopteran noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Diplopods were predominant in biomass owing to the their large size, but spiders still constituted 27.8% of the total biomass, followed by coleopterans, dictyopterans, and scorpionids.
- In the dictyopterans species, however, intermediate features of granulocytes and spherulocytes led them to hypothesize a developmental relationship between both, as postulated by Gupta.
- All are predatory, but the type of prey ranges from spiders to various dictyopterans or orthopteroids to caterpillars (of either Lepidoptera or other Hymenoptera).
Definition of Dictyoptera in:
- US English dictionary