Definition of Diptera in English:
1A large order of insects that comprises the two-winged or true flies, which have the hindwings reduced to form balancing organs (halteres). It includes many biting forms such as mosquitoes and tsetse flies that are vectors of disease.
- Diets of little brown myotis and eastern pipistrelles were highly diverse, consuming an even proportion of six orders of insects including Coleoptera, Hemiptera, Lepidoptera, Homoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera, and Tricoptera.
- The staminate and pistillate flowers of S. mucugensis and S. curralensis were visited by insects belonging to three orders: Coleoptera, Diptera, and Hymenoptera.
- The leaf mining habit is known to have evolved only in four extant orders of insects: the Coleoptera, Diptera, Hymenoptera and Lepidoptera.
1.1 (diptera) Insects of the order Diptera; flies: many diptera bask in sunlight
More example sentences
- Small flowers and red petals suggest pollination by small diptera or lepidoptera, but the flowers do not appear to produce nectar.
- We hypothesize that the Drosophila Adh gene may not be orthologous with the other known Adh genes of higher diptera.
- The final species, Asclepias cucullata, is infrequently visited by Diptera, bees and other insects.
Definition of Diptera in:
- US English dictionary