- A unit of measurement for the total amount of ozone in the atmosphere above a point on the earth’s surface, one Dobson unit being equivalent to a layer of pure ozone 0.01 mm thick at standard temperature and pressure.More example sentences
- The ozone hole area is defined as the size of the region with total ozone below 220 Dobson units.
- The unit of measure is a Dobson unit, which is equivalent to 1 milli-centimetre atmosphere of column ozone.
- Ground-based measurements of ozone for all 3 days were within 8 Dobson units.
1980s: from the name of G. M. B. Dobson (1889–1976), British meteorologist.
More definitions of Dobson unitDefinition of Dobson unit in:
- The US English dictionary