- A fossil anthropoid ape of the middle Miocene to early Pliocene periods, of a genus including the supposed common ancestor of gorillas, chimpanzees, and humans.
More example sentences
- Genus Dryopithecus, family Pongidae
- Tree-living creatures, more like rats than men, were followed by the ancestors of today's lemurs and monkeys, and by a primate called Dryopithecus, believed to be the common ancestor of both apes and man.
- This paper presents the first three-dimensional reconstruction of the cranium of the European Miocene ape, Dryopithecus.
Pronunciation: /-ɪsiːn/noun & adjective
modern Latin, from Greek drus 'tree' + pithēkos 'ape'.
More definitions of DryopithecusDefinition of Dryopithecus in:
- The US English dictionary