A bacterium commonly found in the intestines of humans and other animals, some strains of which can cause severe food poisoning.
- Escherichia coli; a motile Gram-negative bacillus
More example sentences
- It's almost impossible to protect dairy cows from E. coli and other coliform bacteria.
- They spliced a piece of frog DNA into the DNA of a common bacterium known as E. coli.
- The bacterium E. coli is a normal inhabitant of the gastrointestinal tract of humans and livestock.
Definition of E. coli in:
- The US English dictionary