Definition of Efik in English:
noun (plural same)
1A member of a people of southern Nigeria.
- At Abiriba the tradition is that their Ekpe was purchased from the Efik of Calabar with whom Abiriba traders were in close commercial contact.
- As traders conversant in multiple languages and cultures, the Efik were particularly receptive to other belief systems, molding them to their own values.
- Nigeria also provided slaves for Barbados, the Yoruba, Efik, Igbo and Ibibio being the main ethnic groups targeted.
2 [mass noun] The Benue-Congo language of the Efik, closely related to Ibibio. It is used as a lingua franca and has about 3.5 million speakers.
- What we needed, then, were real examples of spontaneously written text in a tone language that, like Efik, has no written literary tradition of its own.
- The concept of logophoricity was introduced in the analysis of African languages like Aghem, Efik, and Tuburi, where there is a separate paradigm of logophoric pronouns which is employed for such a purpose.
- But this means that we should expect that dozens of other Black English words had been traced to, say, Bambara, Mende, Twi, Yoruba, Efik, Umbundu, and so on.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Efik or their language.
- In their seven-year odyssey criss-crossing the Atlantic the Robin Johns repeatedly drew upon their connections established as Efik slave traders, but also sought out new allies to assist them in their quest for freedom.
- The Dictionary further suggests that the word might derive from the Efik word mba-kara, denoting ‘master.’
- And finally the formal conventions present in Duala, Ijo, Ibibio, and Efik art probably dispersed in the same manner as they do today.
The name in Efik.
Words that rhyme with Efikmalefic
Definition of Efik in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan