Definition of Entoprocta in English:
A small phylum of sedentary aquatic invertebrates that resemble moss animals. They have a rounded body on a long stalk, bearing a ring of tentacles for filtering food from the water.
- In our original description the Cycliophora was related to the Entoprocta and Ectoprocta on the basis of ultrastructural research.
- Cycliophora was originally allied to the Entoprocta and Ectoprocta based on ultrastructual research.
- In the original description we stated that the Cycliophora are related to Entoprocta / Ectoprocta.
- Example sentences
- It supports a number of unlikely associations - entoprocts with nemerteans, phoronid with annelids, and pogonophorans with gastropod mollusks.
- The body cavity nature varies considerably in these phyla, from complete absence of body cavity in the entoprocts and gastrotrichs to the priapulid body cavity that is actually interpreted as a true coelom by some authors.
- His close association of entoprocts and ectoprocts is not supported by molecular data although both groups fall within the Lophotrochozoa clade.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek entos 'within' + prōktos 'anus', the anus being within the ring of tentacles.
Definition of Entoprocta in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.